Functionally, the Easy Busy Pets membership feature is a financial instrument, that based on business rules, will decide if there is a payment to be made by a pet owner, when they use your services.
Pro Tip: Easy Busy Pets also supports simple packages with credit management. See the Add A Package article to compare and decide which feature (if not both) works best for your pet business.
Note: A membership requires that you have at least one or more services already defined in the system. You can learn more from the Add A Service article.
Login to your account, and enter the Services page. There you will find an option to select your settings for memberships:
On the next page, you will see a list of all previously defined memberships in your system. For the next step, click "+ Add a membership" to begin creating a new membership.
Memberships by Easy Busy Pets is a mature feature. Years of research, field testing and development has resulted in a polished solution that some are calling "Packages 2.0". Below is a numbered list of settings that we describe in more detail following the illustration:
- Set Image - Memberships can be assigned a descriptive image. To avoid any cutoff, it is recommended that you upload an image with dimensions: 900 x 512 pixels.
- Name - What you will call your membership. For example: "Unlimited Monthly Membership", or "3x Weekly Dog Walks Package".
Pro Tip: You don't have to call it a membership publicly. Yes, you can call it a package instead!
- Description - Always great to provide some detail about your membership. Note that operational details are also provided by the system immediately below your description, so you can keep it high level.
- Duration - Defines how long it takes for the membership to expire (before it renews, if any). Options include daily, weekly, monthly or yearly which means it'll expire / renew on the same day tomorrow, next week, next month or next year respectively. Additional options for calendar week, calendar month and calendar year means it would expire / renew on the 1st day of next week, month or year respectively. For example, if a client of yours buys your membership on the 15th of November, they will expire / renew on the 15th of December if you set duration to Monthly. If on the other hand you selected Calendar Monthly, their membership will expire / renew on the 1st of December.
- # Credits - The number of services that should be used up by the expiry. If more is booked above and beyond the credits defined within the expiry period, the membership will not apply except for a special case defined in #13 below. Also, if you leave this entry as empty, the system will allow for infinite credits within the expiry period (similar to a gym membership).
- Expiry - When all the credits need to be used up, or the client will lose them. In other words, "use it or lose it". Can be set to daily, weekly or monthly. When the expiry is not the same as your duration setting, it will renew until it does. For example, 3 credits weekly for a duration of a month means every week, the client can use up 3 credits.
- Start subscription on - Initiating a membership for a client late, the system offers an option to backdate any services that were serviced. This only applies to the first period of the membership cycle. For example, if you defined a monthly membership purchased by a client on the 15th of November, the system can optionally account for any covered services that were provided between the 1st and 14th of November, even though the membership was initiated late. Option setting "Beginning of the month" will have that result, while "Purchased date" will not.
- Auto renew subscription - Enable this fundamental feature to ensure the membership renews. The renewal date is defined by the duration setting. And on renewal, a credit card or bank account (ACH) needs to be on file for the client so that the transaction is automatically completed.
Pro Tip: Memberships can only auto-renew if you enable payment acceptance.
- Per pet? - When set "per client", then all pets in the client's family are entitled to the credits when being booked for services that the membership covers. If you wish to control the credits to only apply to a specific pet, then chose the "per pet" setting.
- Price - Covers the duration of the membership until it renews or expires. Then the same price is charged again. If it's a per pet membership, then the price is for the pet that the membership was purchased.
- Add a price rule for additional pets - If enabled, the specific pricings you set will be respected when the membership is purchased. Otherwise, it will price each pet in the family the same.
- Tax - Depending on your state, you may need to charge a tax for a purchase such as a membership. Leave as "No Tax" if this doesn't apply.
- Services - In the text field, start typing the name(s) of the services you wish for your membership to cover. In the example below, one has several dog walking services already defined in the system, and similar to a Google search, simply start typing the name of the service to add it. The credits defined earlier can be used up for any of the services defined this way.Pro tip: Add a number of related services to reflect a combo or bundle that can be used up by the credits.
- Add other service pricing rule - By having a membership, you can also enable various discounts to other services and products defined in your your business. Booking or purchasing these services or products doesn't retire any credits. The client will however enjoy your discount based on the rules defined in this part of the configuration.
- Who can view this membership - Choose whether clients can see this membership and purchase on their own. If it's invisible to them, you can still charge them for this membership on your side.
After you confirm the membership, it will be added to your list as illustrated below.
Updating a Membership: Changing settings to a membership applies to all memberships purchased moving forward. It doesn't retroactively apply to those already purchased by clients in the past.
Deleting a Membership: Deleting a membership will also remove any active (purchased) ones of its kind. All credits are voided. One best practice if you wish to avoid this from happening, is to set your client visibility to off (item #15 above). This way it cannot be purchased by anyone, and folks on the current membership plan can continue to use up the credits until a time when it makes sense for you to delete.
Membership Setup Video
We explore the settings of a membership being setup with one of our happy clients.