This article continues from the Adding A Service post, with a focus on pet sitters and dog walkers.
Note: For kennels or daycare ranches housing physical spaces for nightly stays, please also review the article on adding runs and rooms.
Once you enter your category into Easy Busy Pets, it's going to ask you which service you'd like to create. Go ahead and select "Boarding & Kennel":
Selecting this option will direct the system to create a service that respects the needs of the kennel, pet resort, and boarding industry from an operational standpoint: Specialty scheduling, invoice, display, staff management and payroll rules unique to your business.
In the following, we will describe all the salient settings and finish with the pet owner booking experience to demonstrate the effect of those settings.
- Image - Images need to be 900px by 512px to fit nicely.
- Category - Is a setting where you can update the category this service belongs to. If you accidentally created an overnight service in the grooming category, that's ok! Just switch it using the pull-down menu.
- Name - The title of the service. Here's where you provide enough detail for the title of your appointment to stand out. For example, "In-Home Boarding" or "24 Hours - Overnight", versus just "Boarding".
- Block Staff Availability - When enabled, pet owner will not see an option to book a staff member who's either busy with another service at the time in question, or happens to be away on holiday. Usually this feature is disabled for overnight services, so that you can be booked to visit another pet in the area.
Important Note: Ensure all your staff are setup with their calendar availabilities and special dates (ex. holidays). Please refer to the Staff Schedule Availability article for those directions.
- Pet Capacity - Choose to limit how many pets can be added to the appointment. Set to 0 or empty if unlimited.
- Client Capacity - One family can have one or more pets. This entry limits how many families can participate in this group appointment.
Absolutely critical to the pet owner booking experience, spend some extra time learning the ins and outs of customizing the scheduling of each and every service you offer.
For boarding and kennel, booking overnights has a specialised customer experience. Specifically, a pet owner books the arrival date, followed by the pickup date which can be days, weeks or months later. This requires a unique calendar booking view which relies on:
- Start time: When the pet arrives for their stay.
- End Time: The last day, pet is picked up to end their stay.
- Radio Buttons: Same as business settings" which is the your default business hours. It is recommended to customize your booking times by selecting radio button "Custom booking times for this service."
Pet owners need to see your time options. But you can decide what specific options they see.
When deciding on what time options are available you can display options like "1 pm, 6 pm, 7 pm, 8 pm, 9 pm". Alternatively, a time label can be shown like "Arrival (1 pm - 3 pm)" or "Arrival (6 pm - 9 pm)" instead. These can be achieved by first selecting one of two radio buttons "Start times" or "Time labels".
- Start times - You can set specific start times that this service should be made available for each day of the week (ex. 1 pm, 6 pm, 7 pm, 8 pm, 9 pm). Learn more about the start time functionality here.
- Time labels - Set ranges (ex. Arrival 1 pm - 3 pm" or "Arrival 6 pm - 9 pm"). This is often used as an alternative to the traditional start time options to account for varying pickup and drop-off times, acclimate weather or to manage the client expectations on arrival times. Learn more about the time labels functionality here.
Overnights are usually implemented with descriptive time labels. Here is an example implementation of the setting options for the scheduler:
On booking a service, your pet owner will notice a price estimate calculating how much the appointment will cost them. For resorts and overnight service providers, it can be based on a number of factors:
- Price - The rate you charge for the first pet, per night.
- Price based on quantity - Easy Busy Pets also supports automated extra pet fees. These are fees that are automatically added to your client's invoice when multiple pets are selected.
- Add a price rule for additional pets - When you need to specialize the extra pricing to each additional pet added, click this button to expand those settings. Check out our help article on Extra Pet Fees for more information on how to work with this great feature!
- Fixed vs Time - "Time" accounts for the number of days or nights that the rate would apply. "Fixed" means one price regardless on the duration of stay.
- Invoice by duration - "Number of nights" is the most common to count the number of nights. For example, at $90 / night, 13 night will result in an estimate of $1170.
- Allow Tipping - You can choose if this service should ask your pet owner's for a tip at the time of booking.
- Tax - Not ever state needs a tax. For those that do, each service can be assigned a unique tax. Also, you can define multiple taxations with Easy Busy Pets. Learn more in our Sales Tax article.
Display Options and Staff
- Who can see this - Creating a service doesn't necessarily mean it's ready for public viewing, yet. Control who can book this service with the checkboxes provided.
- Staff - When you create a service, you must also define which members of your Team are capable of running it. For example: Picture a business that offers both dog transport and overnight services. When defining an overnight service for that business, one shouldn't be assigning the drivers of the dog transport because they are in the field dropping off and picking up dogs between destinations!
Finally, click "Update" to complete your settings!